Thursday, September 22, 2011

American Idol season 10 finalist Thia Megia have been chosen by Manny Pacquiao himself to sing the “Star-Spangled Banner”


American Idol season 10 finalist Thia Megia said she is honored and blessed to have been chosen by Manny Pacquiao himself to sing the “Star-Spangled Banner,” the national anthem of the United States, in his fight with Juan Miguel Marquez this November 12.

“It was really nerve-wrecking because I haven't sang the national anthem in a while. But, you know, I'm thankful he (Pacquiao) liked it enough to have me sing it at his next fight. I'm really honored and blessed for his opportunity,” the 16-year-old singer said in an interview with Yahoo! Philippines OMG! on Tuesday, September 20, before the American Idol Live Tour in Manila at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City.

According to Thia, she was asked by Manny's team if she could sing the “Star-Spangled Banner” after the Idols' guesting in the GMA-7 Saturday variety show “Manny Many Prizes.”

“I sang to him and it was right after the 'Manny Many Prizes' show. We went backstage and his manager, he asked me, 'you probably don't know the Philippine national anthem yet but do you know 'Star-Spangled Banner?' I said, 'I do.' 'Do you mind singing it to Manny?' And I was like, 'right now?' And Manny was sitting right there and it was such a small room and Pia (Toscano) and Stefano (Langone) were there, they were rooting for me,” Thia shared.

Although she admitted singing the national anthem of America in front of Manny was “nerve-wrecking,” Thia said the whole experience was “wonderful.”

Proud moment

Thia said she's excited to meet young Filipino talent Maria Aragon, who will sing the Philippine national anthem or “Lupang Hinirang” during the match.

“It's awesome. She's such a young artist. Just looking at what she's already done at that age... it's gonna be an honor to meet her as well,” Thia said.

For the young American Idol finalist, the fact that the likes of her and Aragon have somehow penetrated the international music scene is something to be proud of.

“I'm really proud as well because there's so many amazing and talented Filipinos that are making it in the US and pretty much worldwide. It's gonna be a proud moment for me,” Thia said.

Since she has already experienced what it's like to perform for the Filipino audience, will Thia consider pursuing a musical career in the Philippines?

“I would love to explore the opportunity and the possibility of doing that. My love for music will be never-ending so I'm gonna keep working and working and working on it,” Thia replied.

She added, “I would love to explore any opportunity that is worldwide. It would be awesome.”

Other sides of Thia

The young singer also said she's also working on original compositions and exploring the possibility of performing an OPM song.

“I'm definitely working on my music and learning how to be versatile,” Thia said. “I've been in pretty much one genre on the show but what you guys don't know is that I love every genre and I can sing anything.”

During this year's Idol competition, Thia was criticized for being predictable and one-dimensional with her song choices. For her post-Idol projects, she hopes to show she can sing more than just her signature ballads.

“I love reggae, actually. I love soul and jazz. Anything that's pretty cool and funky and has a cool vibe. I love to sing ballads, they really suit my voice good, but a lot of you haven't heard the other music sides of me,” she said when asked what type of music she'd want to explore for her debut album.

Catch the last show of the American Idol Live Tour in 2011 tonight, September 21, at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City. With Karen Valeza

No comments: